Salmo Local leaving Kettle Falls yard

Salmo Local leaving Kettle Falls yard

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Progress Update #5

Life has been very busy lately, so progress has been extremely slow. Despite this, I did get some noticeable work done, which was constructing the new section to the small town of Northport, WA. This included building intricate benchwork to accommodate for a future staging yard under the shelf, laying roadbed, building turnouts, laying track, and wiring. Everything is complete except for the trackwork and wiring, which only includes the main line and a passing siding in Northport. One other thing I had to construct before progress could continue, was an 80' long pile trestle to closely match a few of the small ones the BN had along the Columbia River. This bridge is freelanced, but is fairly close to the prototypes except just shorter length wise and in height.

Here are a few photos of the pile trestle.



Here's some more overall shorts of this Columbia River scene.



Here's a few prototype photos of this area. They are not taken at the exact locations that I'm trying to model in this short scene, but hopefully you'll understand the ''feel'' I'm striving for.

Bill Hooper photos:

 Marty Bernard Photos of the Kettle Falls International RR:

As we wrap around the corner, the line goes through the small town of Northport, WA. This town was home to an enormous smelter and saw mill and pole mill. This is also where the Red Mountain RR interchanged with the Spokane Falls & Northern RR in the early 1900's. There is also a wye here for turning around the steam locomotives. In the 80's, there wasn't much action. The smelter burned down before the 80's and a lot of the other little industries went out of business. Since there isn't much info about Northport in the 80's, I took the liberty to freelance a little, involving the industries that I would like to model. I don't have much space for this town so, I can't include everything, but I want to model the depot area (the depot is already made), the pole mill, MOW track, ore dump track, passing siding, and possibly a team track or oil dealer. 

Here's what I've got so far. 

Here's a blueprint Mr. Bob Kelly from the Great Northern Historical Society sent me. Thanks Bob!




Well, that concludes this update. My dad and  have been working on putting tile in this room lately which should be done here soon. I can't wait! The current flooring is bare concrete, which is horrible in appearance and it creates SO much dust. I know tile isn't the best material to use in a train room because it is hard on the feet when standing and it's also really cold, but my parents are paying for it, thus they get their way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment