Salmo Local leaving Kettle Falls yard

Salmo Local leaving Kettle Falls yard

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Progress Update #3

My Summer was really busy, so not much got done on the layout. I did work on quite a bit of details and I finished the wood chip loading spur for the Boise Cascade lumber mill in Kettle Falls. The wood chip loading facility included a heavily kitbashed loader made from a cheap model power sand mine kit and a scratchbuilt auger shed and loading pit for trucks or front end loaders to dump chips in. The details included scratchbuilt power poles, a corrugated metal fence for the grain complex, and some little details around the depot. Another thing I did was I found a new candidate for trees. I was watering our garden when I noticed our oregano plant had some extremely nice looking blossoms that could be used for deciduous trees. That only problem is that it is very fragrant!









Here's just an overview of the layout. I'm in the process of building more bench work. I'll keep you updated on that.




4 comments:

  1. I really like your woodchip loader. I was considering one for my layout but decided to go with pulpwood loading instead. I'm still trying to decide a modern justification for it, but I'll figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt,

    The loader was a blast to build. It was really simple to build except the hood on top was a little tricky. Unfortunately, there are no info on the loader in Kettle Falls. I actually used a picture of a chip loader in Wisconsin that I really liked to be a base for the model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usk in the Pend Oreille Valley right next door to you has a woodchip loader. This one is used for trucks, but maybe it'll give you some ideas. http://binged.it/1505z5k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good News! I found what appears to be your loader in Kettle Falls! Looks Like you got it spot on as well!

    Now, it appears that there are center beams parked under it now, but I am pretty sure that is a wood chip loader. If you follow the pipes back and to the left, you'll find that there is what appears to be a woodchip loader for trucks as well that all funnel into the same place.

    https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.61033,-118.06693&spn=0.000732,0.001515&t=h&z=20&lci=com.panoramio.all

    ReplyDelete