Salmo Local leaving Kettle Falls yard

Salmo Local leaving Kettle Falls yard

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

National Narrow Gauge Convention Update

This year's narrow gauge convention in Pasadena was great! You're probably wondering why I attended a narrow gauge venue since I'm standard gauge modern modeler. The truth is, is that those narrow gaugers have tremendous amounts of talent and skill. They are wonderful scratchbuilders, artists, and create spectacular scenery. Standard gaugers can really learn a lot from them. Anyway, I met a lot of really neat people and saw some expected amazing modeling. Just what I came for. I did enter a contest entry, but unfortunately didn't win. I have to admit, though, my competitor has some real talent!

Here's some photos of layouts and modules.

Jeff McKee's D&RGW On3



Jim Spencer's Tennessee and Marshall Pass HO/HOn3

Randy Scott D&RGW On3
Tod Brody's garden layout G
Ron Sipkovich's Cajon Pass N
Terry Fearn D&RGW HOn3
Rick Graves Tehachapi loop HO
Slim Gauge Guild Sn3/ HO, HOn3
Tim Dickinson's Burlington Northern Washington themed layout HO



Burton Maxwell's Westside Lumber Co. HOn3
 Dick Robert's Nevada County Narrow Gauge HO



Here's the structure I entered in the contest. The model is a replica of the Northport, WA depot built by the GN in the early 1900's. The depot is a scale 30'x82' just like the prototype as well as the window, door, and detail placement is accurate. Unfortunately the prototype burned in the late 80's. Thanks to Bob Kelly, Mike Bartenstein, and Great Northern Historical Society for providing me with pictures, blueprints, and the general information.





Prototype. GNRHS collection.






No comments:

Post a Comment